Storm Center
Insurance Coverage
Protect Your Property
Catastrophe Response
Binding Suspension

Insurance Coverage

Are you properly insured?

It's important to review your policy to make sure your property is adequately protected against storm-related damage. When a tropical storm or hurricane threatens Florida, you cannot apply or modify your coverage, so plan ahead. Contact your Citizens agent if you have questions or concerns.

Important questions to ask yourself:

  1. Does your coverage reflect the current value of your property and its contents? If you have done anything that increased the value of your property, such as additions or remodeling, make sure you have adequate coverage in case of a loss. Experts recommend that you have what's called full replacement coverage – what it would cost to rebuild your property - which usually is more than the current value of your property.

    To check the details of your Citizens insurance policy, go to Manage myPolicy, our online, self-serve system for policyholders.

    You also may want to prepare an inventory of the contents of your home. Keep your list in a safe, easily accessible location.

  2. Do you have flood coverage? Storm surge and other types of hurricane-generated flooding are some of the most significant potential sources of hurricane damage to your property. Your Citizens policy does not cover any type of flooding (rising water) resulting from a hurricane. Flood insurance is provided through the National Flood Insurance Program. Link Opens New Window To learn more, call your local insurance agent or emergency management office. Usually, there is a 30-day waiting period before a new flood policy becomes effective.

    Are You Prepared for Storm Surge/Flood Loss?
    ¿Está Usted Preparado Para Una Pèrdida por Oleaje ó Inundación?

  3. Do you have financial resources for additional living expenses if you cannot return to your home after a storm? Most homeowners policies provide additional living expense (ALE) coverage that helps pay for expenses above your normal living expenses if your home is unlivable due to a covered loss. This coverage includes payments for food, a place to live and other costs associated with maintaining your household. Additional living expense coverage may be limited, and experts suggest having cash and or a credit card with an available balance of at least $1,000. Check with your agent for more information about ALE coverage.